• Creator
    Topic

vikkiward
    Blocked
    Registered On: 26 October 2019
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 0

The New York Giants (2-5), led by quarterback Daniel Jones, running back Saquon Barkley and wide receiver Golden Tate, travel to take on the Detroit Lions (2-3-1), led by quarterback Matthew Stafford, and nose tackle Damon Harrison, in a Week 8 NFL football game on Sunday, October 27, 2019 (10/27/19) at Ford Field, in Detroit.

Watch Live FREE: http://bit.ly/2oaIX4e

Watch Live FREE: http://bit.ly/2oaIX4e

As ineffective as the Lions rush defense has been at times, their pass defense also has been problematic. They are ranked 30th against the pass, giving up 290 yards per game. Going against a rookie quarterback in Daniel Jones, I would wager Lions head coach Matt Patricia will do all he can to slow down Saquon Barkley and make Daniel Jones beat his defense. Bill Belichick, whom Patricia coached for in New England, always takes away the opponent’s top weapon, which in this case is Barkley. I would be surprised if he allows Barkley to run the Giants to victory on Sunday.

The season-high stands at 120, which he had in Week 1 at Dallas. I think he tops it this week at Ford Field, another indoor road stadium. Barkley admitted he reverted to some “college habits” last week in his first game back from the ankle injury. He was stopped behind the line of scrimmage more than he liked, but Barkley still felt good cutting. Detroit, meanwhile, has given up 4.94 yards per rush, fifth most in the NFL.

Saquon Barkley’s season-high is 120 rushing yards against the Cowboys in Week 1. Although the Lions have struggled to stop the run, just one opposing running back has collected over 120 rushing yards this season against Detroit and that was last Sunday when the Vikings’ Dalvin Cook had 142. I can see Barkley surpassing the century mark in this game, but I think he’ll fall just short of a season high. The Lions have been vocal this week that they need to improve their run defense and, although that may not mean much, I think they’re going to focus on containing Barkley this week.

The system may be one that Bucannon is familiar with, but he still has to learn to play with the players on this roster. Bucannon had a relatively brief stay in Tampa this season before being released three weeks ago. He will always be a better coverage linebacker, weighing only 211 pounds. We will see if he can recapture some magic with James Bettcher. It is also worth noting that David Mayo has played well next to Alec Ogletree, and I doubt the coaches are anxious to take him off the field.

Pat Shurmur confirmed after Friday’s practice that the “money backer” will not only be active for Sunday, but he will also be “involved.” Bucannon’s familiarity – and success – with James Bettcher’s system is well-documented. He will get up and running quickly for his new team. The Giants need all the playmakers they can get on defense, which was general manager Dave Gettleman’s primary offseason objective. In Bucannon’s case, he just happened to come in the middle of the year.

Even though Deone Bucannon has familiarity with the scheme and was coached by James Bettcher from 2014-17 when they were together in Arizona, it remains to be seen how much he’ll play Sunday against the Lions. That’s the big wild card. When his former Cardinals teammate Markus Golden addressed the media this week, he said Bucannon caught on rather quickly when he reunited with Bettcher but they have since added new things that weren’t in the Arizona defense. While Bucannon will suit up and provide some versatility for the defense, he many need at least another week until he’s caught up on the defense.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.